Last night I was craving a dessert big time. I checked out the fridge and pantry to see what we had and what I could create. Finally, it dawned on me….Blueberry scones! I didn’t add a sugary topping like most probably would have, but that was only because I wanted to keep them relatively healthy, oh, and I used whole wheat flour!
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
6 tbsp butter
1 1/4 half-and-half cream
1 1/3 blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. Cut the butter into the dry mixture until it is crumbly (we used a potato masher).
4. Stir the cream into the crumb mixture until just moistened.
5. Gently kneed in the blueberries and make a ball out of the dough, the key word here is gently. (great tip: lightly coat your blueberries in flour before adding them to your dough, this keeps them from bleeding and turning your dough purple).
6. Coat a cooking sheet with flour and place the dough ball on the cooking sheet.
7. Make a flat circle of the dough on the cookie sheet and place in the oven for 20 minutes (or until golden brown).
8. Once it comes out, take a pizza cutter and create wedges by cutting into pizza-sized cuts.
9. This is when you could add an icing topping if you would like.