Who would have thought that carrots could go in a frittata?! Not me! But, it ended up turning out wonderfully! Tonight was also my second time having artichokes, and I have to admit, they’re pretty tasty!
This veggie frittata was so fluffy and full of flavor! I thought it would end up tasting like a crustless quiche…which isn’t incredibly tasty, but this meal was amazing! I was pleasantly surprised at how different it was than other egg courses I had tried, I think you will agree with me.
What do you like to put in your frittatas?! Comment below to let me know.
1 cup white onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 artichoke hearts, chopped
1/2 cup organic carrots, chopped
1 cup low-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup skim milk
3 egg whites
3 eggs (whites & yolks)
1/4 tsp crushed red-pepper flakes
1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1. Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add lemon slices and some bay leaf and place your two artichokes inside and cover. Let boil for about 10-15 minutes. If you need help, visit this tutorial on how to cut open the artichoke. (By the way, it’s totally ok to use canned artichoke hearts to save you a solid 20 minutes).
3. In a skillet, saute the onions and garlic in some olive oil for about 3 minutes. Then add the carrots and artichoke hearts and let that cook for another 3 minutes.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine the skim milk, cheddar cheese, red-pepper flakes and all eggs. Mix well with a whisk.
5. Add the wet mixture to the skillet and let it cook for just a minute or two. Keep the heat pretty low, you only want to have the egg start to “cling” to the sides of the pan.
6. Set everything into a greased casserole dish and place in your oven.
7. Cook in the oven, covered with foil, for 30-35 minutes or until the eggs appear fully cooked and fluffy.