OH. MY. GOODNESS. This meal was out of this world.
I have to be honest and tell you that we did not even follow a recipe, we just totally went for it and we could not have been more pleased with our results for this amazing vegetable risotto.
We made butternut squash risotto before, and it was pretty darn good, but this was a whole other ball game.
The garden vegetable risotto that we made tonight was creamy, cheesy, mouth-watering, and definitely restaurant-quality!
1 zucchini, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 tomato, diced
4 carrots, diced
handful mushrooms, any kind
3 tbsp unsalted butter
2 cups organic arborio rice
8 cups organic chicken broth
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp organic half and half
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 tsp turmeric
3 sprigs fresh thyme
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Place zucchini and carrots, 1 tbsp butter, and some salt and pepper into a large sauce pan and cook on medium low heat for about 5-8 minutes. Once veggies are tender, take them out and set aside.
2. Place the rest of the butter into the saucepan with you onions, mushrooms, and garlic and cook on medium low heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring often so garlic does not burn. Add white wine and stir in arborio rice. Stir until it begins to crackle, you’ll hear it!
3. Ladle in about 4 cups of your chicken broth, it works best to keep the broth in a separate pan, simmering hot. Throw your thyme in as well (the whole stem too). Cook on low heat until the rice has absorbed almost all of the broth, and then ladle in one more, and repeat until you are out of broth.
3. Now, place the other veggies back into your large pot and stir to combine.
4. It is now time to add in the cream, parmesan, and turmeric. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Stir everything and serve! Enjoy!