If I haven’t already convinced you…I love soup!
With a cold day like today, nothing felt better than enjoying a warm bowl of soup. This soup was tomato based, and had the perfect amount of spinach and tortellini to make you glad you made it yourself, not order it from a restaurant.
When I decided to substitute plain greek yogurt for heavy whipping cream, I was worried that it would have a yogurt-y taste to it. However, I was wrong. You couldn’t even taste it. It added that creaminess, but in a much healthier way.
Healthy soup! Yay! There’s no excuse not to make it either, it’s very easy to put together.
1 1/2 tbsp kerrygold unsalted butter
1 white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 tbsp tomato paste
28 oz can of diced tomatoes
16 oz bag of frozen cheese tortellinis
1/4 cup grated parmesan
5 oz fresh baby spinach, chopped
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
handful of fresh basil, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, melt the butter on low. Once melted, add in the chopped onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Then stir in the garlic.
2. Add in the flour, and stir with a wooden spoon for 30 seconds.
3. Now, pour in the chicken broth, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and tortellinis. Bring this to a boil and then let simmer f0r 10 minutes.
4. Check to see if the tortellinis are cooked fully, if they are, add in the grated parmesan until it has melted, and then add in the spinach and let it wilt. Now, spoon in the plain greek yogurt slowly, while stirring.
5. Lastly, add in the basil, (once you have turned off the stove), and sprinkle in some salt and pepper to your liking.