Spinach lasagna roll ups are absolutely remarkable! I feel like we typically stay away from lasagna type meals, (I don’t know why, because they are so darn tasty!!)
The creaming spinach ricotta filling for the roll ups had that classic Italian dinner taste that I adore. Everything about these spinach lasagna roll ups had me going back to seconds, and even thirds! 🙂
We will definitely be making these for the next time we have guests over. It is nice and easy, not to mention a good meatless dinner meal. Also, I am sure they will make for great leftovers!
8 uncooked whole wheat lasagna noodles
3 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
6 oz fresh baby spinach
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
15 oz part-skim ricotta cheese
2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper, to taste
your favorite marinara sauce
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare lasagna noodles according to directions on box.
3. Heat oil in a large fry pan overmedium heat. Sauté the onions and garlic for 1-2 minutes, and then add the spinach into the pan and cook on low heat until it is also sautéd (reduces).
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, basil, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.
5. Once the ingredients in the frying pan are done, stir them into the mixing bowl with the cheese mixture.
6. Place cooked noodles on a flat surface, spread a heaping spoonful of the cheese mixture over each noodle. Roll up each noodle and place into a greased 7×10 casserole dish with seam sides down. Once all noodles are rolled up, pour on a generous amount of marinara sauce.
7. Place in the oven, uncovered for 20 minutes or until the sauce starts to boil.