“This is the best meal I have had in a really really long time” – quoted from my husband a few bites into our Skillet Chicken Pot Pie.
And I have to agree with him (sorry for bragging), but this meal was beyond!!
Of course, the butter probably helped, but trust me, when you’re eating this, you won’t care – it is that good.
I would feel selfish keeping this recipe to myself, so please go make this for your husband, your parents, your children, your neighbor, anyone.
1/3 cup unsalted butter + 2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup AP flour
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp creole seasoning
1 large onion, diced
5 cups shredded chicken (I cooked mine in a crock pot the day before so it would be extra-shreddy)
1 cup frozen hash browns
2 cups carrots, diced
1 1/2 cups frozen sweet peas
package of pie crusts
1 egg white
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a saucepan, melt 1/3 cup butter on low-medium heat, once melted, add flour and whisk constantly for about 1 minute, and then slowly add in the chicken broth and milk while continuing to whisk. Do this for about 5-10 minutes or until it seems thick and bubbly. Once you’ve reached that good consistency – set it aside and mix in the creole seasoning.
3. In a large pot, melt the 2 tbsp butter and add the onions – sauté until they are tender and translucent. Then add in the chicken, hash browns, carrots, and sweet peas – stir this around for a few minutes.
4. Place a pie crust inside a greased 10 or 12 inch skillet. Spoon in the chicken mixture, and then pour the sauce mixture on top.
5. Now place the other pie crust on top, and then whisk the egg white until frothy/foamy, and brush that on top.
6. Place in the oven and took for an hour – an hour and 5 minutes. Let cool, and chow down!