Tonight’s dinner took patience because compared to most of my meals, it took quite a bit of waiting while the food was in the oven.
But…it was well worth the wait.
I don’t know if you’re a big quinoa fan, but most people are aware that it takes a lot of serious flavor to make this stuff taste good! Well, we accomplished that goal tonight with our sausage and quinoa stuffed peppers. They were bursting with flavor, and without adding anything that makes you feel guilty for doing so.
If you don’t think you’re the kind of person who can consume an entire red pepper with their dinner, I challenge you to still go forward and try this recipe. I had the same reservations, but surprised myself. The pepper gets so soft, and after being in the oven for about an hour, you start to get that roasted red pepper experience! Yum!
16 oz organic ground pork
1 small white onion, chopped
3 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp fennel seed
1 tsp herbs de provence
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp hot sauce of choice
1/2 tsp salt
3-4 red bell peppers (tops cut off, seeded and cored)
1. Cook quinoa according to directions on box.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Cook the ground pork in a pan with the fennel seed and the herbs de provence. Make sure the pork is fully cooked and crumbly. Once done, place into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
4. In the same pan, sauté the onions. Once tender, add the tomatoes, and cook until juices form, about 5 minutes. Once sautéed, add this to the same mixing bowl as the sausage.
5. In the bowl with the the sausage, onion and tomato, add the quinoa, fresh parsley, paprika, grated parmesan cheese, hot sauce, and salt.
6. Stuff the peppers very well with the mixture! Don’t shy away from having them overflow with your filling. Cover your greased pan with tinfoil and stick in the oven for 1 hour.
*We served ours over some whole wheat rice pilaf and green beans.