My husband requested pumpkin coffee cake for his birthday dessert, and so I decided I would do you a favor and share what I made. I put my baking skills to use and made this delightful pumpkin coffee cake. It was simple, easy, and nice slice of fall. Especially when paired with a warm cup of coffee.
I knew it had to have a serious crumble topping – and it did!
This pumpkin coffee cake had all the right elements to be successful, and it surely was. It had the perfect amount of pumpkin flavor, right amount of moistness, and a generous helping of crumble to top it all off!
Ingredients For Crumble:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup packed light brown organic sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
6 tbsp unsalted butter, cold and cut into slices
pinch of salt
Ingredients For Cake:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup apple sauce, (we make homemade applesauce!)
15 oz can organic pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown organic sugar
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees, and grease a large baking dish.
2. Mix together all of the crumble ingredients in a small sized bowl. Then, place it in the fridge while you are baking!
3. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
4. In a large sized mixing bowl, stir together the vegetable oil, apple sauce, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, both sugars, and eggs.
5. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to over mix!
6. Pour the batter into the baking dish and evenly distribute the crumble topping.
7. Place in the oven and let cook for 45 minutes.