We love Chicken Pot Pie, and this week I had a major craving for it, but since we’re on a ketogenic diet, it seemed kinda like a no-go, and our Chicken Pot Pie Soup seemed like a more natural choice. But after a little trial and error, I came up with a Keto Friendly Pie Crust Recipe so that I could enjoy the Chicken Pot Pie I’ve been dreaming about.
So, I present to you, our Keto Chicken Pot Pie.
Pie Crust Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp salt (we use Redmond Real Salt for everything! such high quality)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2 oz cream cheese
7 tbsp unsalted grass fed butter
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
Directions for Pie Crust:
1. In a food processor, pulse together the almond flour, salt, xanthan gum.
2. Then add in the cream cheese and butter, and continue to pulse. Add in the egg and the apple cider vinegar, and pulse until it is all well combined.
3. The mixture will not look like a pie crust dough at this stage! I scooped mine out into a bowl, covered it, and set it in the fridge for 3-4 hours.
4. Take the pie crust dough out of the fridge and place it between two sheets of parchment paper and using a wooden rolling pin, roll it out until it would be large enough to fill your pie dish.
5. Now, I placed my dough rolled out between two sheets of parchment paper onto a baking pan, and placed in the fridge for 15-20 minutes or so. (This dough works best when cold!)
6. When you’re ready to bake it, pre-heat your oven to 385 degrees, and then remove one sheet of parchment and then place the pie dish on top of the other and flip it over so it falls into the pie dish. Now, press it in and fix any cracks or spots that need a touch up.
7. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the crust starts to brown a bit. Take it out, let it rest!
Keto Chicken Pot Pie Filling Ingredients:
1/3 cup unsalted butter + 2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp creole seasoning
1 large onion, diced
5 cups shredded chicken
2 cups carrots, diced
1 1/2 cups frozen sweet peas
Keto Chicken Pot Pie Filling Directions:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a saucepan, melt 1/3 cup butter on low-medium heat, once melted, add xanthan gum and whisk constantly for about 1 minute, and then slowly add in the chicken broth and milk while continuing to whisk. Do this for about 5-10 minutes or until it seems thick and bubbly. Once you’ve reached that good consistency – set it aside and mix in the creole seasoning.
3. In a large pot, melt the 2 tbsp butter and add the onions – sauté until they are tender and translucent. Then add in the chicken, carrots, and sweet peas – stir this around for a few minutes.
4. Pour the butter/milk/broth mixture into the chicken/veggie mixture and mix all together for a minute or two.
5. Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 20-25 minutes in the oven.