We just recently had a Chick Fil A open up near us – which is both good and bad. It is good because the food is ridiculously tasty, but it is bad because…well, I’m sure you can guess. Because who really needs a fried chicken sandwich?! Luckily, it’s close-but-far-enough away that it is not on our normal route so we have only been twice.
But, two times was enough to make me wonder if I could make this sandwich at home. And, most notably, the deliciously addicting signature Chick Fil A sauce.
I am proud to say that my attempt of trying to master this wonder at home was a great success. Plus, I know it is healthier because the chicken is baked instead of fried.
On a side note, the chips that you see pictured with the Homemade Chick Fil A Sandwich are LITERALLY AMAZING. They are called Sweet Maui Onion Kettle Chips, and you can buy them here. You will not regret the purchase, I promise!
You may notice that the recipe is similar to our famous baked chicken bites, but the spices are just a bit different.
(This recipe makes four delectable sandwiches)
Ingredients For Chicken:
two large boneless chicken breasts
4 sandwich rolls
2 cups panko crumbs
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp cayenne peper
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp black pepper
2 tsp organic powdered sugar
1 tsp chili powder
Ingredients For Sauce:
1/4 cup organic mayo
1/4 honey mustard
1/4 bbq sauce
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1. Brine your chicken breast for 15-30 minutes while you prepare other parts of the sandwich. To do this, you’ll just need to dilute 1/3 cup salt in about 3 cups of water and place the chicken breast in the solution.
2. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
3. While your chicken is brining, slice your rolls if needed and get your egg mixture prepared by whisking the eggs and milk together. Place the panko crumbs in a separate bowl.
4. In a large ziploc bag, combine the flour and all of your spices. Place the chicken in the bag, close, and shake to coat all surface area of the chicken.
5. Transfer your chicken to the egg wash to coat, and then right into the bowl of panko crumbs to completely coat as well.
6. Place the chicken in a greased baking dish and place in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Your crumbs should be nice and brown by then.
7. For that fast-food feel, you can steam your buns in the microwave by placing them in a plastic bag for about 20 seconds. They will get nice and soft this way!
8. To make the sauce: combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and top your chicken with this when it is done.