Who doesn’t enjoy a fresh, sweet and delicious homemade blueberry sauce?
On a day filled with nothing but snow drifts and wind gusts outside, we decided that we’d make the inside of our kitchen a warm and cozy place. That can only mean one thing – fluffy, hot waffles with a sweet blueberry sauce that brings thoughts of summer with each bite.
It was a nice way to enjoy our waffles, and I know you will love it! I’m going to do my best to describe how easy this blueberry sauce is for you to make at home (without getting my sticky blue fingers all over my keyboard)!
Since this sauce is sweet, there will be no need for any syrup. I love the way the lemon juice makes the blueberries taste extra fresh!
A big thanks to My Baking Addiction for this recipe!
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup organic sugar
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp cornstarch (mixed with 1 tbsp cold water)
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
zest of 1/2 a lemon
1. In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine the blueberries, 1/2 cup of water, sugar, and lemon juice. Stir occasionally and bring to a boil.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the corn starch with 1 tsp of cold water.
3. Very slowly, pour and stir in the corn starch mixture into the sauce pan. Let this simmer for about 5 minutes. Be careful not to crush the blueberries! You’ll want that little “pop” when you bite into a berry.
4. Remove the sauce pan from the stove top and slowly stir in the vanilla extract and lemon zest.
5. Pour the sauce on your choice of waffles or pancakes!