Thanksgiving = stuffing.
Not just stuffing yourself…bread stuffing! It’s the time-tested Thanksgiving side dish that has been enjoyed over and over again. It doesn’t matter if you have it on the side or stuff your holiday bird to the brim, it’s most likely going to be on just about every table this year.
So, maybe it’s time we switch it up a little…
Have you ever made (or enjoyed) homemade stuffing?! I hadn’t! And, let me tell you right now…I will never go back to a bag of pre-seasoned, pre-cut bread.
My husband and I were absolutely blown away by the incredible flavor that we were able to create by making our own homemade stuffing.
We didn’t just want to make any old stuffing…we wanted it to be unique and our own. And, we did just that by making homemade bacon and apple stuffing.
You read that right. BACON AND APPLE STUFFING!
The combination of the moist bread, the salty bacon, and the sweet apple just melts in your mouth. So whether you’re tired of having the same exact stuffing recipe year after year, or need a little help graduating into the world of fresh bread stuffing, read on!
large loaf italian bread, diced into half inch cubes
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4 tbsp unsalted butter
3 celery stalks, diced
1/2 medium size white onion, diced
2 gala medium apples, skinned and cubed
6 bacon slices, cooked and chopped
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp thyme
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt butter and cook celery and onion for 5-7 minutes on medium-high heat, stirring every so often.
3. Add in the apples, sage and thyme and cook for another 5-7 minutes so that everything is tender.
4. Pour the chicken broth into the pan and bring it to a boil.
5. Place your bread and the chopped bacon into a large mixing bowl and pour the contents of your sauce pan over top the bread. Toss to combine.
6. Spoon into a greased 7×10 casserole dish and cover with foil.
7. Place in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the bread on top begins to brown slightly.
8. Take out, and enjoy!
HOMEMADE MAPLE AND JALAPEÑO GRAVY!!! That’s right.