I was given another huge zucchini from a friend’s garden and I just couldn’t wait to put that bad boy to good use. I also had some organic carrots in my fridge – and that is when it dawned on me…
Healthy zucchini carrot muffins! The good news is that I don’t mind grating/shredding zucchini. What I didn’t think of ahead of time was how much easier it would be to buy pre-shredded carrots. Oh well, I got an arm work out, and I got organic shredded carrots.
I will admit that I was incredibly surprised, in a very good way. I was hesitant as to how zucchini carrot muffins would taste, but let me tell you, they are SO moist, delicious, flavorful, and so darn tasty!
Who knew a muffin with two vegetables in it could taste so divine?
I am so glad I found this recipe and was able to adapt it to a way that fit my needs.
The moment you have all been waiting for…
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp kerrygold butter, unsalted, melted
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup grated carrot
Warning: this recipe only makes about 7 big muffins, so next time I would either make mine smaller, or double the batch. (There will be a next time)!
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees, and misto-spray your muffin tin.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, vanilla extract, honey, maple syrup, and egg.
4. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients using a wooden spoon – (these spoons are a life saver!)
5. Now, add the grated zucchini and carrot and continue to mix with a wooden spoon.
6. Distribute the batter evenly to the muffin tin.
7. Stick in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
8. Let cool, and enjoy!