I’m so excited to share with you my first ever guest post! Everyone, meet Debi. Debi is the mastermind behind the instagram account @thegardenofeatin and she posts her culinary creations on Facebook as well, follow her here. I’m excited for Debi to share a little bit about herself and an amazing pecan pie recipe that deserves a place on every Thanksgiving table this year.
I’m a full time working married mom of 3 grown sons. My real passion has always been cooking, baking and most recently, food styling and photography. I credit my cooking skills to my 93 year old mom who, in my opinion, is a Queen in the kitchen. She always encouraged me to watch, learn and complete the challenge of recreating her recipes that have no measured ingredients.
Six months ago I created an Instagram account ~ @thegardenofeatin ~ to showcase my recipes and foodography. I love creating unique and whimsical styling by using a fusion of food, flowers and greenery in my photographs.
One of the highlights of thegardenofeatin has been the support I have received from my family and friends.
The recipe for this pie has always been one of my favorites. It’s a marriage made in pie heaven – pumpkin & pecan! Great for the holidays and sure to be a hit.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Layer:
3/4 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Ingredients for Pecan Layer:
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups pecans , chopped if desired
1. Use a ready made pie crust or your favorite crust recipe. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Line shell with foil and fill with pie weights or I use rice, then bake until pastry is set and pale golden on rim, about 20 minutes. Carefully remove foil and weights/rice and bake shell until pale golden all over, 6 to 10 minutes more. Cool on a rack.
3. Make pumpkin filling: Whisk together pumpkin, brown sugar, egg, sour cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt in a bowl until smooth.
4. Make pecan layer: Stir together corn syrup, brown sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla, zest, lemon juice, and salt in a bowl, then stir in pecans.
5. Assemble and bake pie: Spread pumpkin mixture evenly in shell, then carefully spoon pecan mixture over it. Bake pie until crust is golden and filling is puffed, about 35 minutes. (Center will still be slightly wobbly; filling will set as it cools.) Cool completely on rack.