Before we get started on the recipe, I need to warn you – these paninis have a patented, extremely hot and spicy flavor. The key to the hotness is the Trader Joe’s dijon mustard, it is absolutely killer.
We also made a very simple tomato soup to go with the panini, since we both love dipping. We weren’t planning on it, so we didn’t have everything we would have normally put into a tomato soup, but we made due with what we had, and it turned out very well! Props to Forrest 🙂
So, now that I have completely scared you away from trying this recipe…if you dare, here are the ingredients and directions!
Ingredients for the Veggie Panini:
Bread of your choice, (we love Ezekiel bread!)
Fresh baby spinach
Red pepper, chopped
Sriracha hot sauce (careful!)
Trader Joes dijon mustard
Hot banana peppers, chopped
Jalapeño peppers, chopped
Pepper jack cheese, sliced
Directions for Panini:
1. Pre-heat your panini press and grease (we use the Misto olive oil sprayer).
2. Put all the ingredients for the panini on the bread of your choice and stick it under the panini press!
3. Take the panini out, cut in half, and keep a glass of ice cold water next to you while you enjoy!
Ingredients for the Tomato Soup:
28 oz can of Hunts canned crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 1/2 cup milk
1 tsp dried basil
salt and pepper to taste
red pepper flakes to garnish
Directions for Tomato Soup:
1. Combine entire can of crushed tomatoes with the vegetable broth, basil, salt and pepper in a large saucepan. Heat on medium heat until the mixture begins to simmer and foam a little bit.
2. Lower heat and stir in milk, slowly bring back to a simmer, stirring.
3. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.