I know Valentines Day was yesterday, but this afternoon we wanted to make strawberry shortcake, and since we had heart cookie cutters we thought we would try to be slightly creative and make heart shaped strawberry shortcake. This shortcake is easy to make and very easy to enjoy! I was surprised by how little sugar was in the mixture.
strawberries, washed and slivered
2 tbsp sugar
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup cream
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Stick slivered strawberries in the fridge while you prepare and bake your shortcake.
3. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Add the cream and mix together just enough so that are no dry clumps. Do NOT overmix!
4. Place batter in a greased 8-inch square pan and bake until the top is golden, 18 to 20 minutes.
5. Cut up shortcake, and top with strawberries, and vanilla ice cream or cool whip.
6. Enjoy! This is so good!