I can officially make the proclamation that brunch is my favorite meal. I am in love with the breakfast/lunch combinations that are possible. Whether it’s Huevos Rancheros, any form of Pancakes, Breakfast Pizza, Fluffy French Toast, etc..brunch is the way to go. If only it was acceptable to have brunch every day!
I can now add a new favorite to the list…Eggs Benedict.
I like to think that my husband and I made a slightly healthier version of homemade, easy Eggs Benedict. If anything else, it is a fresh twist on an old classic. We used a whole wheat english muffin from our favorite place, Trader Joe’s, along with their Smoke Apple Chardonnay Chicken Sausage, and of course, our very own homemade, slightly less buttery hollandaise sauce.
2 whole wheat english muffins, cut in half and toasted
4 eggs, poached
2 sausages, sliced open the long way and then cut in half (we used Trader Joe’s Smoked Apple Chardonnay Sausage)
salt and pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Homemade Hollandaise Sauce:
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp water
pinch of salt
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Cook the sausage on a greased griddle for a few minutes on each side.
2. Poach the eggs in water –> see the perfect way to poach here 🙂
3. Toast the english muffins, either on a griddle or in a toaster.
4. Time to make the hollandaise sauce! Whisk together the egg yolk, water, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt in a small cup. Completely melt butter so that it is hot. With an immersion blender, begin blending egg yolk and slowly pour melted butter into the cup while blending. Blend until it forms a creamy sauce. You can now heat this up on very low heat in a sauce pan if you would like. Add in a pinch of cayenne pepper and don’t let it get cold!
5. Now assemble the english muffin, followed by the sausage, egg, and a drizzle of the sauce over everything. Season with salt and pepper!