Here in Massachusetts the snow is coming down very hard, which, to my delight, meant a snow day for today! So I knew that I wanted to spend my day home by making a breakfast treat. I asked Forrest what he wanted and he said coffee (crumb) cake. So, this meal, goes out to him! I have never made it before, but turned out just perfect. The right amount of crumble on top and the right amount of moisture inside. What would you make on a surprise day off from work?
Ingredients for Crumb Topping:
1/3 cup light brown sugar
3 tbps whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbps softened butter
Ingredients for Cake:
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Grease 9 inch square pan.
3. For the crumb topping- combine all ingredients together in a bowl (works best if you use your fingers) until the mixture resembles a crumble. Set this aside. It will go on top of the cake later!
4. For the cake- in a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt with a whisk.
5. In another bowl, combine the milk, vegetable oil, and eggs. Add this to the dry mixture all at once.
6. Pour this into the square pan and disperse the crumble on top.
7. Put in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
8. Enjoy with a nice cup of coffee!