This recipe takes a lot of patience because the process of making the arborio rice a risotto takes a long time – about 30-45 minutes. But, it is worth it because it is so delicious! I wasn’t sure if we were going to be able to pull off a risotto, but we did and it was spectacular! I think that we had the perfect amount of parsley and butternut squash to incorporate without over taking the dish.
1/2 of a whole butternut squash, peeled, chopped and seeded
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 of an onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
5 cups chicken broth
1/8 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp heavy cream
1 tbsp parmesan, shredded
3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1. Melt the butter in a Wok and then add the chopped butternut squash, add in the salt, pepper and chili powder and cook on medium high heat.
2. Once squash is golden brown, set it aside on a plate.
3. In the Wok, add the onion for 2 minutes, then add the arborio rice, stirring for about 1 minute.
4. Reduce the heat to low. In 1-cup increments, begin adding chicken broth to the Wok, stirring to combine with rice and onion. As soon as the broth is absorbed and disappears, add in another cup of broth. Continue this process, stirring every so often as the broth incorporates and the rice starts to become tender. Do this for all 5 cups.
5. Once the rice is tender (but not mushy), add the butternut squash and turmeric. Stir gently and then add the heavy cream, parsley, and parmesan. Stir everything together and serve.
6. Enjoy! (We had ours with a roll and roasted radishes).