I can’t believe me it has taken me into my twenties to really appreciate butternut squash.
Now all I think about is “how can I incorporate butternut squash into this meal?!” And that is what I do, I add it to just about everything.
For example, this Butternut Squash Mac N Cheese…
Everything about this meal screams comfort food. And, it’s healthy if there is butternut squash and onion in it, right?! 😉 Throw a vegetable (or two) in, and it totally counts as a health food!
I wish I could explain to you HOW good this is, but you will just have to take my word for it, or better yet, make it yourself!
16 oz bow tie pasta
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
salt and pepper, to taste
1 lb butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 white onion, diced
1 tbsp extra vigin olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1. Cook your pasta according to the directions on the box.
2. In a large sauté pan with olive oil and butter, sauté the butternut squash and onions until tender. Mix in the cayenne pepper, turmeric, salt and pepper.
3. Once the pasta is cooked and drained, put it back in the pot. Add milk, and on medium heat, begin to slowly mix in shredded cheese until melted. Stir constantly. Add more milk until it has reached your preferred consistency of creaminess.
4. Now, add the butternut squash and onion to the mac n cheese pot and mix it in.
5. Enjoy! Garnish with red pepper flakes.
*If you wanna go squash crazy, you can also try one of my favorite soups ever, Butternut Squash Soup.