We all have our favorite meal that we know doesn’t look too appealing to the camera. Well, that is the case with our breakfast enchiladas.
No matter how many times we tried, we just couldn’t seem to get a good picture of them.
However, do not let the pictures fool you. This breakfast dish, or breakfast for dinner dish (this was the case for us) was absolutely remarkable. Especially if you’re into spicy foods. My husband is a huge spicy fan, so don;t be surprised to see jalapeños, sriracha, or loads of pepper in our meals.
I’ve grown to accept this, so we normally eat our hot dinners with a box of kleenex next to us …just joking!
We adapted our homemade enchilada sauce recipe from this site. We used a box of strained tomatoes instead of a can of crushed tomatoes, and we also used whole wheat flour as opposed to white flour. Still though, it’s pretty much all right there for you.
Enjoy, just don;t try to take a picture of your plate 😉
1 green pepper, sliced
1 white onion, sliced
2 jalapeños, diced
a few slices of bacon, chopped up
1/3 cup milk
2 slices of American cheese
1/4 cup colby jack cheese, shredded
5 large flour tortillas
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook the bacon and chop it up into tiny pieces.
3. Sauté the peppers, onions and jalapeños in a bit of olive oil until tender.
4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the milk and the eggs. Cook the eggs on low heat. Act like you are making scrambled eggs, but cut them off a few minutes short. They will be solid, but still moist and a little “liquidy.” Stir the peppers, onions, jalapeños and american cheese into the egg mixture.
5. Grease a large casserole dish.
6. Lay the tortillas out one by one and then distribute the egg mixture evenly into the middle of each tortilla. Roll each tortilla loosely and put the seam side down. Place these side by side in the dish.
7. Spread as much enchilada sauce as you want on top of the tortillas and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
8. Now, sprinkle on some shredded colby jack cheese and just a pinch of dried oregano. Place back in the oven for about 2-3 minutes.
9. Take out of the oven, and enjoy! Beware – this is very spicy! (But so good!)