If you read my weekly meal post this week, you would have learned that my husband and I picked gallons of fresh blueberries this past weekend. We LOVE blueberries!!
This isn’t even all of them….I’m serious! Now you know why I am trying to make plenty of blueberry-centered recipes in order to make a dent in our haul.
This blueberry layer squares is phenomenal. It uses less butter than most crumble/cobbler based dessert recipes, and I used whole wheat flour, and organic sugars. Healthy blueberry dessert?!
You could pair this square of deliciousness with ice cream, whip cream, or plain. You could drizzle chocolate sauce on it, you can eat it hot or cold. Whatever you chose to do with it, you will enjoy it because it is full of blueberry juiciness!
2 cups blueberries
3/4 cup organic cane sugar – we love this stuff!!
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp unsalted organic butter, softened
pinch of salt
juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon
2 tsp organic brown sugar
2 tbsp corn starch
1. Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees and grease (or use parchment paper) a small baking dish.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, flour, salt, baking powder. Then, add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, egg, and butter. I would recommend switching over to a wooden spoon (or your hands), the whisk will become a disaster to use! 🙂 Mix this together well. Then spilt this dough up in halves.
3. Cover the bottom of the pan with half of the dough.
4. Next, in a mixing bowl, combine the blueberries, 1/4 cup of sugar, and the corn starch until the blueberries are coated. Place this mixture on top of the dough in the pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the blueberries.
5. Now, smooth out the other half of your dough on top of the blueberries.
6. Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
7. Take out, let cool, and enjoy!