Strawberry and blueberry cream cheese stuffed french toast? Yes please!
I have sadly realized that a majority of the breakfast recipes I post are on the…well, how do I put it?…Unhealthy side. But, you must listen when I say that this Berry Stuffed French Toast is well worth the extra calories.
The flavor of the french toast stuffing is very rich and sweet, but in all the right ways!
Are you craving this french toast yet?! I’m ready for round 2!
Luckily, this recipe does not take a long time to make – it is fairly quick and easy, meaning you’ll need to burn these calories off after you’re done
8 2″ slices of Italian bread
8 oz package of cream cheese
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
zest of half a lemon
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups strawberries, diced
3/4 cups blueberries
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp organic sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp unsalted butter
maple syrup, to your liking
1. Using a serrated bread knife, slice 2″ thick slices of Italian bread, do not cut all the way through.
2. In a stand mixer, beat together the cream cheese, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla extract, strawberries and blueberries for about 2-3 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, sugar, and cinnamon. This will serve as your dunking before you cook the french toast.
4. Using a spoon, slather a good amount of the filling mixture into the slice you made in the bread.
5. Now, melt the butter in a large pan. Dip the french toast all the way into the egg mixture, being sure to cover it all. Wait until most has dripped off and then place into the pan to cook. Cook on each side of the french toast for about 2 minutes. Be sure to do this in several batches as each piece needs lots of room to cook. Also, remember that all sides need to get cooked, so make sure you flip these yummy french toast slabs on each and every side to avoid a soggy, raw egg bite!
6. Take out, add some fresh strawberries, and or blueberries, and top with maple syrup. Enjoy!