Not too long ago, my husband and I split a chicken finger basket while out to eat. Not long after eating it, we regretted our decision because we felt sick, bloated, and unhappy with ourselves for indulging in so much fried food.
Does this sound familiar? You’re not alone.
I do love a good crunch to my chicken, but that doesn’t have to mean fried!!
Tonight, we made panko crusted baked chicken bites – and let me tell you, they were phenomenal! They are perfect for every member of your family because they’re both kid and adult friendly!
No grease, no frying pan, and no oil. These chicken bites were tossed in some whole wheat flour and wonderfully blended spices, dipped into egg, and then panko crumbs, then baked in the oven!!
See you later chicken finger basket, I have found a healthy alternative to you, and I couldn’t be happier about it!
3 chicken breasts, washed and cut into bite size pieces
5 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
10 oz bag of panko crumbs
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp french dried thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp regular dry mustard
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Rao’s marinara sauce, for dipping (this was my preference, my husband used BBQ and honey mustard sauce).
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a plastic bag, combine the whole wheat flour and all of the spices. Add the chicken bites into the bag and shake until all the chicken is well coated.
3. Prepare two bowls – one with the eggs and one with the panko crumbs.
4. Place the chicken into the egg mixture and coat fully, and then drop into the panko crumbs and coat. Repeat these steps with all of your chicken.
5. Place onto a greased or foil lined pan. Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown on the outside.
6. Enjoy with some of your favorite dipping sauces.